- We’ve Got to Get To America 4.0
- H P Lovecraft Had At Least One Black Fan
- 2020 Is Already the 2nd Worst Year in US History
- “The New Alchemy Institute” – a Tech Road Not Taken
- Moore’s Law In Spaaaace: Data Rates from Mars
- Nature Advances Fast When Humans Retreat
- Some Firsts Who Were Women
- Mad Science #7 – Radioactive Lighting
- William Gibson Reading “Agency”
- What Has the US EV Tax Credit Cost?
Tag Archives: hypatia
What modern city would match Hypatia‘s Alexandria? Not in the sense of being filled with murderous mobs, of course, but in terms of being a main repository of knowledge.
The movie Agora mentioned in the previous post got me interested in the actual Hypatia, so I picked up “Hypatia of Alexandria, Mathematician and Martyr” by Michael B. Deakin (2007). It discusses the little that is actually known about her, … Continue reading
… unless you live in an ultra-blue city. They are Creation, about what made Darwin finish “On the Origin of Species”, and Agora, about the tragic end of the one of the last great intellectuals of the Classical era, Hypatia of … Continue reading